From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 06 Dec 96 08:03:55 cst
     Hi Alex -

MELFs: fact or fiction? Well, that's the way many people look at them. We use
MELFs in many of our designs with good success - now with that said, I don't
like them. My major beef with them is that we are putting a round object on a
flat surface - Mother Nature has rules that tell round things on flat surfaces
to roll! Yes, the solder paste keeps the MELFs in place but the basic physics of
things rolling can still take place (kind of like putting a square peg in a
round hole, a.k.a.. square pins in thru holes). As for the notched versus
unnotched pad configuration - they both work and one isn't any better or worst
for assembly purposes but the board designers don't like them. One other problem
has been solder fillet volumes. Your stencil thickness that optimizes for 0603
chips, etc. will leave your MELF solder fillets somewhat starved which depending
on your use environment can be a problem. Assemble equipment can handle the
MELFs but you do have to optimize your vision system, placement head speeds,
etc. so you don't throw the parts on the manufacturing floor. MELFs are useable
but I recommend you explore other options first. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins