From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 96 11:23:16 cst
     Hi TechNet -

     Thanks for the info Doug - your explanation was just what I needed.
     (rocket science answers are not always the best answers - ignore the
     flames!!)

     Happy Holidays!

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins

Subject: Re: GEN: Rectifiers
Author:  [log in to unmask] at ccmgw1
Date:    12/20/96 10:54 AM

Dave,

A rectifier is a device used in a circuit to get as
close to a DC voltage output (battery) as possible.

It takes as an input an alternating voltage wave
(excuse the drawing) as from your wall outlet...

Input

Peak positive voltage
+Pv
    _____
   /     \
  /       \
 /         \
-------------------------
             \         /
              \       /
               \_____/
-Pv
Peak negative voltage

and converts this waveform to an output
of positive cycles or negative cycles, such as

Output

Peak positive voltage
+Pv
    _____       _____
   /     \     /     \
  /       \   /       \
 /         \ /         \
-------------------------

or

Peak negative voltage
-Pv

-------------------------
 \         / \         /
  \       /   \       /
   \_____/     \_____/

After the output of the rectifier, some
circuitry is used to smooth these big
bumps out into smaller (ideally none)
bumps.

Into something like the following for
positive rectification...

Peak positive voltage
+Pv
    _____     _____     ______      __Pv max
   /      - _/      - _/       - _  __Pv min
  /
 /
-----------------------------------

The "ripple" is basically the voltage min and max
of the new waveform, Pv min and Pv max respectfully.

It is dependent upon the components used
for waveform smoothing.

If the ripple is too large, this could have
an effect very different than if a pure dc battery
was used, i.e. no ripple.

This has been an extremely brief explanation and
I expect to get royally flamed.  But, I tried
not to get too technical.

_________________________________
> Subject: GEN: Rectifiers
> Author:  [log in to unmask] at ccmgw1
> Date:    12/20/96 8:17 AM
>
> Is it true that rectifiers generate a constant minimum AC voltage (rms)
> that causes variable ripple depending on actual or overall voltage?  In
> explanation, is ripple defined by the minimum AC voltage over the rated
> output voltage only?
>
> Could the group enlighten me on the subject of minimizing ripple and how
> it affects plating?  There's been much discussion about copper plating,
> and I would appreciate some information on this topic.
>
> Chemist, IUP, CU
>
> P.G. Wilson

The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
and do not reflect those of my employer.