Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:07:23 -0500 (EST)
Dear Technetters:

Recently, a customer inquired as to what design considerations should be
applied in order to prevent post assembly SMD pad solder 'cracks' during
depanelization of V-groove (aka scored) pwb arrays.

As a self confessed 'non-expert' on SMD design and assembly concerns, I
would appreciate any feedback regarding this design issue, such as:

design rules currently applied
SMD component(s) to avoid in scored arrays
Minimum distance from scored edge to SMD pad
single/double sided SMD issues
component orientation with respect to scored edge
Minimum/maximum array area size
Minimum/maximum pwb array thickness
Maximum scored web thickness
preferred methods for depanelization

Perhaps there are interactions between the list provided above. I also
realize that this list is probably not comprehensive and would welcome
additional concerns that I may not be cognizant of.

Thanks in advance to all of those who reply....

regards

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire