From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 02 Dec 96 17:21:15 cst
     Hi TechNet!

     Shaun - there are people in the electronics industry that do use Sn/Pb
     plated parts in gold sockets so don't think that it is never done. But
     those folks have taken into consideration the issues that Dr. Lei
     brought up - e.g. they seal the PWA so that water can't get to the
     connection or they use very high insertion forces plus make design
     considerations such that the micro-motions that occur don't impact the
     electrical functionality. Most people follow Dr. Lei's suggestion and
     avoid the gold-Sn/Pb issue altogether. IPC-GH-850 "Handbook of
     Interconnect Contact Finishes" has some good general info on
     gold-Sn/Pb that may be helpful.

     Hey IPC - What happened to IPC-GH-850? I do not see it listed in the
     IPC catalog! Is it still procurable?

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins