Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 95 13:20:42 EST
     Tin/Nickel has been around for along time. You're absolutely right.
     The conductor overhang can be such as to produce bad slivers that can
     easily create shorts. A good way to overcome that issue is to tightly
     control the plated thickness to an extreme minimal. (Generally this
     must be negotiated with the customer up front due to customary Nickel
     requirements.) If the deposit thickness is <250 u inches, (50-100
     preferred, 100-200 with fairly good results) you can generally cleanly
     etch the circuitry with the overhang at a minimal or even removed
     during the etching process. If a mild scrub is required, at that
     thickness you can eliminate the overhang issue(s). Tin/Nickel,
     however, has really only focused on niche markets such as high temp
     boards (BIB)and a few others. It really never was widely accepted
     due to similar issues that you listed. The tin surface is more
     user friendly.

        Surface Tin plating is something that many large volume shops
     are doing that has been successful. (No solderstrip required. HASL
     readily takes to the solderable surfaces with tin over copper.)
     I'm waiting to see what their comments are.