TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Elensky, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:44:31 -0700
Unless it is a customer requirement to provide thermal profiles for each
lot, I don't  understand the necessity to profile so frequently.  Generally
speaking, I have always used just a few profiles for everything.  These were
defined for different pastes or epoxies.  As a new product came to the shop
floor, I would run a sample with the Datapaq to confirm the appropriate
thermal conditions and add that assembly to the list of assemblies used on
that profile.

Regarding the attachment issue, I would suggest the Sanders thermocouples
that clamp onto the edge of the board (Sold by ECD 1-800-323-4528 or Datapaq
508-988-9000)  They are very accurate and require no attachment to the
device (solder, glue, tape).  I had my set (8", 10", and 12") for several
years and used them for both reflow and wave solder applications, proving
they were quite robust.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Richard Elensky