TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"JoAnn Amerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:44:11 +0000
> What is the smallest reasonable text size for silkscreen text. Text
> height, width, and thickness. With design density increasing, we would
> still like to have as many ref des possible.  From a PCB designer,
> what tooling parameters are acceptable for good resolution on the
> finished products.

There is an excellent article on the subject of silkscreening in Printed
Circuit Design magazine by Mary Sugden and Mona Johnson.  It began in the
November 1996 issue and ended in February 1997.  My company was considering
adding the reference designations on our boards about the time the articles
started.  I showed my supervisor the articles and pointed out that they
recommended that it not but used BUT if you must, these are the points you must
consider.  Fortunately we are not going to mark our boards.  We have little
enought room for the things we need to add without adding "bells and whistles"
to the artwork (not to mention cost).

Hope this helps!

JoAnn L. Amerson
Design Librarian