Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 95 9:44:24 MDT

Via plugging is an ugly process that should be designed out as soon as
possible.  While it does seal the via, it is an extra process and can
create a whole new set of problems.  Problems that we've seen with via
plugging include solder volcanoes (lengthy description available if
requested) and bumps of epoxy on the surface of the board.  The epoxy
bumps wreak havoc on the stencil process if they're located anywhere
near 20-mil pitch SMT devices.

We have designed out all epoxy plugs.  100% of our new boards have been
LPI for the last 2 years.  Our test fixtures are mechanical.  We use a
no-clean process, so entrapped fluxes are not an issue.  The majority of
our new products utilize OSP or ni/au, so entrapped chemistry from HASL
is not an issue.  For the occasional via that requires better protection
to prevent shorting (beneath crystal cans, or metal body connectors, for
example), we will use the white epoxy nomenclature ink to cover the via
hole.  Nomenclature is already on the board, and thus costs nothing to
add occasional via coverage.

-Jeff Deeney-
Hewlett Packard Co.
Computer Interconnect Operation