Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 95 12:23:30 CST

     The discussion concerning cracked MLC capacitors has by now brought up
     a number of possible failure mechanisms which should be considered
     when dealing with the problem.

     In our experience, cracked capacitor failures had been almost always
     found on boards where some type of standoffs or bulkheads were secured
     to the boards after electrical components were installed, and/or on
     boards which were populated with IC sockets.  It was fairly easy to
     see that physical stresses were applied to the boards as the
     mechanical components and IC's were being installed.  What was not so
     easy to accomplish was to convince the production people that such
     stresses could in fact fracture the capacitors.

     Implementing several simple fixture to relieve stresses acting on the
     boards took care of our problems very nicely.  I can't remember the
     last time I saw a cracked MLC capacitor.

     Regards,

     Myron Papiz