From:
"dmitchel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 95 11:03:50 PST
 In 7 years of experience as Process Engineer for HASL I have seen both
 sides of the coin. In the beginning, one of our major customers wanted the
 solder as flat as we could make it. As pitches shrank, minimum solder
 thickness requirements increased, especially for 20 mil QFP's. I, like
 you, have never seen a soldering defect directly attributed to thin
 solder. But, I have had boards returned for the "thin solder defect".
 Typically solder thickness on discrete pads will be ~50 microinches. Those
 pads tend to look dull compared to a 20 mil pitch QFP site with 400
 microinches of solder. That visual difference can lead to rejection.

 There is always a very thin coating of eutectic solder over the
 intermetallic layer (IMC) on HASL processed product. Granted, a thin
 solder coating may have an increased lead content due to the consumption
 of tin into the IMC. Assembly problems can arise if the product is stored
 in poor conditions and a heavy lead oxide layer forms (difficult to remove
 with today's water and no clean fluxes).