From:
"Cian O Mathuna" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:21:35 +0000
I have a requirement to  investigate the definition of the maximum
chip ceramic capacitor footprint which can be used with various
substrate materials - FR4 PCB, ceramic, and aluminium-core materials.
The application is for output filtering in SMPS circuits. I wish to
use leadless capacitors. I am mainly concerned with the TCE mismatch
between the materials and the resulting stress levels which may cause
cracking. I am assuming that the placement and IR reflow process and
handling procedures will be under control and will not caus any damage.

Is there any studies/technical literature available on this subject?

I understand there is a move in the industry to larger capacitance
values in smaller footprints - how significant is this in terms of
capacitance value versus size?  Any assistance/direction would be
appreaciated. Cian O Mathuna.
Dr. Sean Cian O Mathuna
Applications Director/Centre Manager
Power Electronics Ireland,
National Microelectronics Research Centre,
University College, Cork,
Ireland.

Tel: International + 353 21 904016
Fax: Internatioanl + 353 21 270271