From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Blomstrom)
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 95 12:04:14 EDT
> Design Rule Checking
>
> Kudos to the guy who first thought of, and implemented  "DRC".
> It works very well right up to the time a designer produces gerber files.
> But after that, we're on our own.
>
> I understand that some Fab shops have the capability to run a DRC against the
> customer supplied gerber files. Sometimes spacing errors are found. But how
> could this be? Are cad operators not paying attention to their post-processing
> reports? or are they changing apertures during the gerber process? or are Fab
> shops changing aperture sizes and then running DRC's?
>
> I would be happy to run a DRC against my gerber files, but I have yet to see
> a cad system that can do it. We can simulate the artwork-select a .001 grid-
> and then view the simulation. But this is error prone and could make you go
> blind.
>
> Does software exist for a dos/unix system to run a DRC against the gerber files?
> I don't care about neat graphics, just a program that will allow me to check
> proper spacing of artwork features.

The software we are using is Symbolic Sciences' Imark CAM software.
I is able to do full DRC with gerber files (as well as netlist checking!)

FYI:
These are the guys who produced the unix update for the old
McDonald Dettwiler MDA CAM software.
However, when we ordered that as an upgrade it wasn't a real good port
and misbehaved, not to mention it didn't function with the old machine like we were told.
They didn't plan to support or upgrade that package,
so they gave us the Imark as a "no additional cost" upgrade.
I still has it's idiosyncracies with the old tool, so we have a mixed environment going on
that is really anoying.
If anyone has any clout with Symbolic Sciences, you may want to mention these concerns.

If you need more specific info, I can put you in touch with my CAM guy here who has to
use these CAM tools.
--
Robert Blomstrom, Design Engineer
Advanced Interconnection Technology, Inc. - Atlanta