From:
Kevin Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 08 Dec 95 13:11:20 PST

   I am looking for references,relevant to the reliability of
sn63/pb37 solder joints, when used in conjunction with an electroless
nickel / immersion gold finish, applied (over copper) to PCB's. Pull
strength of the solder joints, is also of interest.

Note:	Electroless nickel thickness :- 4 to 8 um
	immersion gold thickness     :-	0.03 to 0.07um

	My particular interest, is the solder joint reliability, when
subjected to  thermal shock, thermal cycling, (-50c to 100c)
vibration & high humidity levels.

	Most of the nickel/gold process suppliers are listed below :-

Lea Renol
Shipley
Elf Atotech (or Atochem)
Mac Dermid
Technique

	We have information from most of these companies, but they
tend to concentrate on solderability. The only relevant article I
have managed to find, is by K.Banerji & E. Bradley of Motorola,
titled, "Manufacturability & Reliability of products assembled with
new PCB finishes".(SMI proceedings '94)
	The article mentions crack propagation at the nickel / tin
intermetallic layer, when assemblies are subjected to mechanical &
thermal shock. The Authors appear to have concluded, that the nickel
/ tin intermetallic is weaker, or more brittle, than a copper / tin,
intermetallic. The phosphorous content of the nickel is also thought
to cause problems, as it is "displaced ahead of the growing
nickel/tin intermetallic & forms a layer of a complex compound, that
causes degredation of interface strength"!
	Is there any informaion that can substantiate (or deny) this
report?

Regards
Kevin Berry

Radstone Technology Plc