From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 16:17:41 -0500
For those readers involved in SMT board level assembly, I have a question.

As a "benchmark", your opinions are solicited. At my Company, we assemble
PWA's with dominantly SM packages. Our projected number one product for
next year is a PCI format (about 6.6" x 3.6" exclusive of the gold fingers)
board with SMT parts both sides (print paste, place, reflow; repeat for
other side).

The board is populated with 205 total devices including 167 discretes, 18
0.05" pitch parts, and 20 fine pitch parts. There are 1,948 total SM solder
joints and 1,276 of these will be fine pitch (mostly 0.5 mm). No through
hole devices on this assembly (yay!).

What would you suggest is a reasonable target solder defect rate for this
product (ppm) assuming modern stencil printing and placement techniques?

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX