From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Blomstrom)
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 95 16:47:29 EDT
I've been reading the vast ideas for reworking
fine pitch devices after assembly and I
noticed a unique solution posed by one fellow.

Jerry Cupples suggested :

> Try shaming the designer into a quick respin, and wave your arms wildly as
> you tell them how ugly the board will be with these little wires running
> over the board, just waiting to break and fall off.

The rest of the suggestions dealt with using small gauge wire applied
in order to jumper connections.
----
I thought this would be a good time to pipe up and remind
the tech world of what I get paid to design everyday.

The product my company manufactures is IDEALLY suited for PROTOTYPING.
Our main, repeat customers (some of the USA's largest Aerospace companies)
use our technology to build prototypes faster when their internal multilayer shops
are backlogged.  The beauty of our technology is that when mods are needed,
they can be done fast and new boards can be built quickly. Even when complete
reroutes are needed or parts are drastically changed. That means NO EXTERNAL WIRES
on proto or production boards.

Since I'm not a salesperson, I'll stop disguising as one.
I design Discrete Wire boards.
I start with a multilayer core for vcc/gnd then
route my signals with .0025"/.004"/.006" (42awg/38awg/34awg) wire
which can be done typically on 2 layers with crosstalk and impedance rules
adhered to. Then I finish with a padlayer(no signal routes) with the typical
finishes for plating and soldermasks.
We build with standard FR-4 materials, and some custom materials if requestd,
and are certified for the testing and cycling abuse that the military and
commercial aviation demand.

For more indepth info - please drop me a line directly.
--
Robert Blomstrom, Design Engineer
Advanced Interconnection Technology, Inc. - Atlanta