From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:50:16 -0500 (CDT)
Leo:

It depends to some extent on the type of components you plan to
store. IPC-SM-786A, "Procedures for Classification and Handling of
Moisture/Reflow Sensitive ICs" (published 1/95), is fairly clear on what
a supplier or user needs to do to prevent part damage due to moisture
absorption. Generally, dessicant is the preferred method. Test methods
are included. It also gives historical background on the problem.
Nevertheless, the parts in question are plastic encapsulated ICs. No
provisions have been made (yet) for passives, connectors, or parts with low
thermal masses such as BGAs.

The document is available from IPC: $15 members/$30 nonmembers.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
7380 N. Lincoln Avenue
Lincolnwood, IL 60646