TECHNET Archives

August 2021

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2021 09:13:55 -0700
Hi Victor-

I have worked with boards containing specialty materials to aid in heat
transfer. Copper-Invar-Copper cores have been available for a long time.
Those spread heat evenly throughout the board and aid heat transfer to the
rails of the mounting system.

Also, the circuits built on aluminum are in this category. Most modern high
power LEDs for home lighting use are built this way.

I was not familiar with the insert technology you've linked to. For similar
problems I have seen holes in circuit boards which allow the heat sink to
directly contact the hot device. An immediate question that comes to mind
for the insert is the success of matching the vertical TCE of the circuit
board. That is hard to match since it changes above the glass transition
temperature.

Wayne Thayer