TECHNET Archives

August 2021

From:
John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2021 15:43:21 -0400
We have few restrictions in VA right now.
I picked up the guys at Dulles airport on Sunday and took them home to relax from their long flight. I have been retired for a couple of years since their last visit but the were very amenable to helping on a couple of projects around the house. I had my single Malt collection and lawn tractor under lock and key to insure that there  was no repeat for the lawn tractor incident from the first visit. Luckily none of my neighbors recognized them during the visit.

The first day we went out the the Smithsonian Aerospace and flight near Dulles for an all day adventure. SR 71, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules were on display the the space shuttle hall. A extraordinary display of first flight aircraft  thru WWI, WWII to the present including the Enola Gay B29. French, German, British, Japanese, Russian and US aircraft were all on display. You can never see everything in a single visit.

Second day I asked if they would like to go the the rifle range to shoot static clay pigeons at 50 and 100 yards using 22 rifles. The had a great time and we stopped off for Mexican food and unfortunately I discovered that they are not used to spicy food. I was snarfing down spicy salsa the the both of them tried large chips full of the salsa. We had an emergency intervention of the staff when they started turning red from their neck to their top of their heads by bringin them individual pictures of cold water. After lunch we retired to the back deck where they discovered our giant slip and slide, off to wally world to get some swim trunks and back so they could cool off. Our high temps this week were high 70s to low 90s so afternoon activities always included beer and slip and sliding to cool off.

Third day included touring the Bull Run battle fields near Manassas and then off to Apple House for a late lunch. The make great fresh made apple cinnamon/sugar donuts. I can eat one but after eating just one they went and bought a dozen, back to the slip and slide to work off the sugar highs but no beer.

Forth day we visited Luray Caverns after I determined that they were not afraid of closed in spaces. Had lunch and went back to slip and slide with burgers and beer.

Friday we got up, went to a nice breakfast place and then on to Dulles for them to depart for their next destination.

Great time had by all.

Regards,

John