TECHNET Archives

May 2020

From:
Morgan Viggers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Morgan Viggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2020 12:07:43 -0700
Larry - there are a few major differences, but the one that most commonly
requires design changes is the via/PTH pad size.  Class 2 allows 90 degree
drill to pad breakout, but Class 3 requires 1 mil annular ring remaining, so
Class 3 designs will typically need larger pads.  Many other Class 3 items
(like plating thickness) often do not require any layout changes.  A lot of
the other Class 2 vs Class 3 differences are in the sample and inspection
plans.  If the design is already done, I suggest to just sent it to your
fabricator and ask them to review.  They will be sure to point out any
design issues that currently prevent it from being fabricated to Class 3 -
and they make even be able to make any needed design changes themselves.

Morgan Viggers
Field Applications Engineer
ISU Petasys
503.675.3877