DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:07:31 +0100
Simple, when they are putting the solder mask screen over the top of the board to screen it, they need a certain amount of play, as it may not always be placed 100% in the exact location.

I.E. if it was 1:1 there is a chance that a slight misalignment can cause solder mask to be put on the pads.

It is usual for solder mask to be 8 thou bigger than the pads, as for standards I have no idea, it's the manufacturers that insist on this, if we do not provide a soldermask that is bigger, then they will simply increase it to suit.

For fine pitch IC's etc it is common to have a block of mask missing rather than individual pads as it is very hard to put it accurately on fine pitched pads, the tolerances won't match.

Although, this has the effect of sometimes allowing more solder shorts so the design has to be done to take this into account, as are the assembly depts required to be informed to watch for it.

Matthew.