TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
Carl VanWormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl VanWormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:29:27 -0700
I think both pictures are correct.

Unfortunately, most LEDs have the Anode lead longer than the Cathode lead.
The pin-1 mark is usually an indicator for the longer (Anode) lead.  The dot
or bar on "regular" diodes is always on the Cathode end.  This is the
confusion!

Often, round LEDs will have a flat spot on the Cathode end (indicating the
bar on the diode symbol).  Sometimes the flat is parallel to the two pins,
which is useless for the Anode/Cathode question, but let's hope the
silkscreen matches the flat spot.

So far, I've been able to spot the cathode by looking at the internal
structure.  On all diodes I've used, the die mounts in a recessed Cup which
is the Cathode (C-Cup-Cathode) connection.

Carl Van Wormer
Cipher Systems
1815 NW 169th Place, Suite 5010
Beaverton, OR  97006
Phone (503)-617-7447    Fax (503)-617-6550