DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kowalewski, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:45:29 -0500
You need to think first about what type of solder mask you are
specifying. Screen printing a two part epoxy mask needs a solder mask
opening of about .12mm (5 mil) while a liquid photoimagable will need an
opening of 0.05 to 0.075mm (2 to 3 mils). You need to talk to your board
fab about what their production tolerance is. Be aware that's production
tolerance - if you're making hundreds of thousands of boards it makes a
big difference from making a couple of thousand.

Of course the big issue is the track to pad spacing. On a 5 mil
track/space board, you can't have a 5 mil trace to pad space. That 5 mil
solder mask opening around the pad is the nominal space - it's possible
that the opening will range from zero to 10 mils depending the on the
solder mask to copper features registration. If your fab can hold a 2
mil solder mask opening tolerance (common these days with LPI) then you
can use a 5 mil trace to pad clearance - the mask opening should never
be greater than 4 mils and so your trace will never be exposed.

Andy K.
Sychip Inc
Office +61 2 9456 7984