DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:14:09 -0700
IPC DC members and friends,

I attended a special award ceremony on Monday in Minneapolis at IPC Works
along with Pete Waddell of UP Media. The IPC wished to present 3 members of
the IPC Designers council with special recognition awards for their efforts
and contributions to the IPC through the Designers Council. The named
recipients were Suzy Webb, Pete Waddell, and I. Unfortunately Suzy was
unable to attend and they are shipping her award to her. Pete and I attended
a luncheon there with many members of the IPC in attendance and were awarded
these special plaques in front of all the attendees. I just received a copy
of the press release and there will be pictures that follow later.

It's a very humbling experience being honored for a Special Recognition
Award by the IPC... I am very aware though that no honor is earned in a
vacuum and I want and need to share this special recognition with the people
that have been influential and inspiring in my career and encouraged me to
reach out do more. I do not believe that I could have received any award
without the inspiration, help and support of those very special people...
both in the IPC Designers Council and at the company that I work for,
Titan/Datron World Communications Division. The management and staff here at
Datron have been great supporters of the efforts that our organization has
made locally in San Diego and internationally through their recognition of
the importance of the work that the IPC Designers Council does for the
Printed Circuit Industry and PCB designers worldwide. I am deeply grateful
for the support I have received from the Director of engineering (my
immediate supervisor) Randy Hermes, and Datron's CEO Art Barter. When the
need to travel to meetings and events arose they were there for me, making
it possible. Titan Corporation at CEWD in Torrey Pines and at DTWC division
in Vista has shown leadership in the industry regarding the value of the CID
certification program that is being administered by the IPC Designers
Council. They have not only sent their designers to get certified but also
they have supported me as an instructor by making it possible to conduct the
workshops here in our area. Thank you Titan for your most appreciated
support. I firmly believe that CID Certification is a benefit to designers
and the companies that support them. They reap benefits in improving their
quality and expertise in the Printed Circuit Design and manufacturing fields
and pass them on to the products they design and market.

Everyone benefits when PCB designers truly understand the pivotal role they
play in the success of any product by bringing together the needs of so many
areas of product manufacture, assembly, test, reliability, quality and
safety all into the best possible package to meet the needs of their
companies markets. More support and investment in education from forward
thinking companies will yield benefits in the future for all of us and we
applaud the vision of the industry leaders who support this effort and the
individuals who take up the challenge to improve their career skills and
design talent through continued education and certification in this field of
Printed Circuit Design.

Our local San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council has been assisted
many times in the past by some really great people in our area we would not
be the chapter we are today without that essential support from their local
companies. Hallmark Circuits in Poway, Overland Storage in San Diego, and
most recently Kyocera Corporation in San Diego have assisted in provided
meeting facilities for our members to meet the 6 times a year that we
regularly get together. Other companies that we list on our chapter website,
and even individuals, have provided us with guest speakers and covered the
cost for the meals and/or drinks to help us provide the best meetings
possible to our members. We deeply appreciate their help, support and
leadership and could not have achieved the success we have in our San Diego
area without their support.

I also want to mention Leslie Gomez, Bill Gephardt, and Elena Evans, who
have given so much of themselves to the local chapter membership, and there
is no doubt in my mind that they too have earned special recognition for our
chapter and it's membership and it reflects directly on their tireless
efforts to make the San Diego Chapter one of the very finest in all the
world. I have been most honored to be associated with and employed by Datron
for the past four years and hope it will continue for many more years... and
I am also deeply honored to be a member of the IPC Designers Council and our
own local San Diego Chapter.

Also at the National Level our volunteer leaders are second to none, and the
companies they represent are to be praised for their support of our efforts
to improve the quality, ease of manufacture and higher technology used in
the design of printed circuits. I am glad to be included in that effort and
appreciate the 3 honors that have been conferred upon our organization this
week. Believe me... you all earned it, every one of you.

My sincerest congratulations to Suzy Webb who has been an inspiration to so
many through her work with the DC and also to "Uncle" Pete Waddell for his
enthusiastic support of Designers for as far back as there is recorded
history... (Well, I might be exaggerating a bit there, he's not that old...)
Well deserved both of you!    Bravo!

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
http://www.dtwc.com <http://www.dtwc.com>
http://pcbwizards.com <http://pcbwizards.com>

For Immediate Release

26 Members Honored at IPCWorks 2004

BANNOCKBURN, Ill., October 25, 2004 - IPC - Association Connecting
Electronics Industries(r) honored 26 members at IPCWorks 2004, held Oct.
24-28 in Minneapolis, Minn., for their contributions to IPC and the
electronics interconnect industry.

            Three Special Recognition Awards were presented to individuals
who have made recent exceptional contributions to an IPC program. Pete
Waddell, UP Media Group Inc.; William R. Brooks, Datron World
Communications; and Susan Webb, Suntron Corporation, were awarded for their
support and contribution to the IPC Designers Council.

            IPC also presented 23 Distinguished Committee Service Awards.
This award is given to IPC committee members who have made an exceptional
contribution to a specific standard, guideline, round robin test program or
other IPC program.

            The following three individuals were awarded for their
significant efforts in the release of IPC/JEDEC-9702, Monotonic Bend
Characterization of Board-Level Interconnects.

*       Keith Newman, Sun Microsystems
*       Dr. Reza Ghaffarian, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
*       Werner Engelmaier, Engelmaier Associates, L.C.

For their leadership and significant contributions in the release of
IPC-2223A, Sectional Design Standard for Flexible Printed Boards, the
following seven members were also presented with a Distinguished Committee
Service Award:

*       William Ortloff, B/C Engineering
*       Clark Webster, ALL Flex Inc.
*       Michael Luke, Raytheon Company
*       Thomas F. Gardeski, E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Co.
*       Russell Griffith, Parlex Corp.
*       Ted Edwards, Dynaco Corp.
*       Greg Clements, Kaneka High-Tech Materials

IPC also honored an additional 13 members for their leadership and
significant contributions in the development of IPC-9194, Implementation of
Statistical Process Control (SPC) Applied to Printed Board Assembly
Manufacture Guideline:

*       Praveen Gupta, Quality Technology Company

*       Nicholas R. Watts, Intel Corporation
*       Peter Adams, Ramaer Printed Circuits, B.V.
*       John F. Glaccum, Ethicon Endo-Surgery

26 Members Honored at 2004 IPCWorks/ Pg. 2

*       Constantino Gonzalez, ACME Training & Consulting

*       Les Hymes, The Complete Connection
*       Renee Jung, NSWC Crane
*       Guy Ramsey, R&D Assembly
*       Michael Sivigny, CeTaQ Americas
*       Darren Stinson, Ideal Aerosmith Incorporated
*       Richard Williams, Pulse Electronics
*       Dr. Heinz Wohlrabe, Dresden University of Technology
*       Michael J. Zurn, Phoenix International Corporation

For more information on the awards and award recipients, contact Sandy
Gentry, IPC media relations manager at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  or 847-597-2871.

About IPC

IPC is a Bannockburn, Ill.-based trade association dedicated to the
competitive excellence and financial success of its more than 2,200 member
companies, which represents all facets of the electronic interconnection
industry, including design, printed circuit board manufacturing and
electronics assembly. As a member-driven organization and leading source for
industry standards, training, market research and public policy advocacy,
IPC supports programs to meet the needs of a $40 billion U.S. industry
employing more than 350,000 people. IPC maintains offices in Taos, N.M.;
Washington, D.C; Garden Grove, Calif., Stockholm, Sweden; and Shanghai,
China. For more information, visit www.ipc.org <http://www.ipc.org/> .