TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:08:30 +0300
I recommend to try as a first priority to layout the via out of the BGA pad
(bump) to adjacent special micro via hole pad.
Up to 0.5 mils pitch it can be done.
The filling VIP is not 100% safe (solderability and voids aspects).

Best  Regards

Reuven  ROKAH

                      "Macko, Joe @
                      IEC" <joe.macko          To:      [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by: TechNet         cc:
                      <[log in to unmask]         Subject: Re: [TN] VIA in Pad

                      28/06/2004 17:35
                      Please respond
                      to "TechNet
                      E-Mail Forum.";
                      Please respond
                      to "Macko, Joe @
                      IEC"

Tom,

My experience has been that their generally a direct correlation between
voiding and VIP locations.  Of course, the size of VIP has a direct bearing
on the potential size of the void in the solder ball .....  Our current
policy is to fill all VIPs to preclude any voiding problems or insufficient
solder conditions in leaded parts.

I would sensitize your customer to the potential for voiding which may not
meet IPC guidelines, and the need for rework with VIPs for leaded parts.
Good luck.

joe