TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Ofer Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:22:38 +0200
A plan is always tailored to the company's structure and needs. However, the guidelines are:
* start with your components:
  > Check for every component the availability of RoSH compliant components (lead is only one of the banned components).
  > Don't forget to check for components that are declared as "lead free" that they can withstand the higher soldering temp - many manufacturers are changing the external coating without changing the internal structure. 245 deg C are absolutely the minimum, 260 deg C should be the target.
* As a CM, check the materials you are using and ensure that no banned material is being used.
* Specify your PCB laminates to withstand T288 and use finish that does not contain lead.
* Assemble a real PCB with components: if your BOM is costly use mock up packages, otherwise use real ones. Make some experiments to validate the process - use MOLE to measure the profile and cross section the board to validate the soldering.
* After having the full "green" bill of materials build the board according to the proven process and validate the electrical functionality - hopefully this should be a given.

Regards
Ofer Cohen
Manager
Quality Assurance, Reliability and Production Technologies