TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Collins Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:53:08 -0400
Hi Jowan
We would never wave such a beast.  In a case like this, I'd go with
selective soldering.   A question for you - TSOPs are very moisture
sensitive, you bake this thing between glue-on and wave?

If you don't have sufficient clearance around all the through-hole, you
could also do a "selective selective soldering" pallet.  We've got a
board with 700 resistors and caps on the bottom side, and we have a
pallet that shields most of them (600+).  We screen paste for most of
the parts, glue dispense for the remainder, and then pick/place and
reflow.  About 80 caps get wave soldered, as well as the through-hole.
Works like a charm.

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Northrop Grumman Canada Corporation
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/25/03 10:28AM >>>
Hi Jowan!

I've got one document for you that says that TSOP's and TQFP's cannot
be wave
soldered from OKI Semiconductor:

http://www2.okisemi.com/pack-downloads/pkgch3.pdf

Go to section 3.2 and look at mounting method...

That being said, what about a selective wave solder pallet? Probably
not
enough room around the PTH to do that, huh?

-Steve Gregory-

> Eric,
>
> The fracture is between the component and the adhesive.
> But that problem is already solved.
> We dispense 3 dots adhesive at the two ends of the component.
> Half the dot is underneath the component and the other half sticks to
the
> side.
> It looks strange but it works for us.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has some documents/papers saying that
TSOP's
> (SRAM's ,DRAM's  etc.) are not really suitable for gluing and/or
> wavesoldering.
> With such a document it is much easier for me to convince the
customer to
> change their design.
>

> Regards
>

> Jowan Iven

in
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for
additional
information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or