From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 96 06:42:44 cst
     Good Morning Jan!

     Wow! Well I'm glad you tried it because I'm too chicken! The first
     rule they taught us in metallurgy school is that molten metal and
     water is a BAD combination. I would be a bit leery of the moisture in
     a potato initiating an explosion. Dross is typically oxides and other
     contaminates that are less dense than the solder alloy itself and so
     dross floats on the surface of a solder pot. Because of this density
     difference dross shouldn't be throughout your solder pot unless the
     wave pumping action pulls some around. Dross is also very abrasive so
     the wave solder equipment manufacturers don't want dross anywhere but
     at the top of the solder pot. There are chemical additives that can be
     used to "de-dross" a solder pot but I don't think they are potato
     based. My guess is that all the dross that accumulated in the half
     hour was generated because of the potatoes themselves. Sometimes dross
     sinks just below the surface of a solder pot because it's not pure
     dross - it contains small chunks of solder thus making it heavier.
     Maybe the TechNet chemists can help out.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins