From:
"LARRY A. STERNIG" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:27:01 -0500
 .int [log in to unmask]

 Are the  IPC standards for dimensions of etched feature to etched
 feature are too loose for todays fine pitch PWAs. Correct me if Im wrong, but
 I think the spec is +/- 5 mils for PWBs less than 12 inches and +/- 8 mils on
 larger PWBs. If we have a perfect stencil perfectly centered on a board that is
 8 mils too big, we have an error of 4 mils at each edge. If you have a 12 mil
 pad and stencil opening of 10 mils you will have a 5 mils of paste on the pad
 and 3 mils of the paste off the pad on devices near the edge of the board. We
 had one instance of this where our contract house couldn't produce the
 assembly. Now we also need to allow some tolerance for the stencil maker,
 something for the positioning of the stencil to the board and size changes from
 temperature differences from the FAB shop to the assembler. No wonder the
 defect rate for fine pitch is so much higher than 50 mil stuff.
  How accurate can the feature to feature be on a fab without a large cost
 penalty? Seems to me the spec should take into account the actual pad size. The
 larger the pad the more feature to feature error could be allowed. How does the
 rest of the would handle this to insure product can be built?

 Larry Sternig

 *** Original Author: ipc!ipc.org!TechNet-          10/19/95  101402