From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:52:45 -0500 (CDT)
I need to provide clarification to a few issues in this e-mail from the
technical committees of the IPC.

>From the IPC-T-50E Terms and Definitions, comes the following industry
definitions:

Solder Connection Pinhole - A small hole that penetrates from the surface
of a solder connection to a void of indeterminate size within the solder
connection.

Blow Hole - A void cause by outgassing.

Regarding Thermal Stress:  A hot oil float at 500 degrees for 30 seconds
should not damage a good quality hole.  Many companies do multiple 10
second floats at 550 on solder. One company local to Chicago tried a 600
float for 10 seconds after treating their copper plating bath. In IPC
Post separation minitest program test, we used multiple floats, high temp
to CO2 cold cycling and were unable to get good holes to fail.  In
IPC-TR-579 we used hot oil 550 for 20 seconds, fluidized sand at 550 for
20 seconds cycled to water at room temp.  Good boards survived all of
these stress. Now I would not recommend these tests for production, but for
process control or for design verification they are handy.

Regards

David W. Bergman, Technical Director
IPC
2215 Sanders Road