From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 96 10:30:26 cst
     Good Morning!

     Someday the electronics industry will eventually decide that bright
     shiny solder joints are not a necessary! If you are soldering to gold
     finishes you need to make sure that you have enough solder volume to
     allow the gold to dissolve evenly into the joint AND that your process
     is such that the time and temperature profile allows this dissolution
     to take place. You may be able to alter your reflow profile to get a
     "shinier" solder joint appearance (try some combination of
     longer/hotter). May I suggest another approach? Using SEM analysis and
     microsections demonstrate that the solder joint does not have a gold
     embrittlement reliability risk and then quit looking at the solder
     joint appearance. Document your materials and process so that anyone
     who questions the "dull" appearance can see that you have researched
     the issue and are not inducing reliability problems.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins