Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 11:51:41 -0400
NEED INDUSTRY INPUT AND DIRECTION

- Several years ago - a committee was asked to rewrite Test Mehod 2.4.36
Rework Sim
- Assemblers and board mfgrs alike did not think it represented current
removal/replacement processes.
- We rewrote the method and were awaiting soldering temperature ranges from
assembly documents
- The current documents have no temp ranges
- The following is a list of items and questions we need input on - to allow
us to get a grip on what to do

a)  current method has only one temp range.  Do we need variable ranges
dependent upon board material, thickness, aspect ratio, ground planes, etc?
 If so what should they be?

b)  Should the test be replaced by another type test like multiple thermal
stress?

c)  Since the current test is "no value added" in it's current form, should
we eliminate it, if we can't bring it up to date?

Any modifications to the test method would most likely have to undergo round
robin testing prior to acceptance into IPC-TM-650

We need your input for Providence meeting.

Susan Mansilla
Robisan Laboratory
317-353-6249