Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:53:02 -0400
I am very interested in your comments regarding your company's
Solderability heat test.  From your description I am assuming that
it is comprable to the IPC-TM-650, method 2.4.36  Rework simulation.

This method as it stands requires at soldering iron temp of ca 467F.
Wires are soldered and removed from a hole 5 cycles.  For the last
4 years we have been trying to update the test method to more
closely simulate the soldering iron temperatures that are used during
assembly.  Your test does that.

So to answer your question - Yes, your test soldering temperature of
647F is abnormal from IPC and military documented test.  However,
your test may be much more relevent.

I would be very interested to know the following:
How long have you been doing this test.
Do you perform the same test on all material types.
Are the boards tested made at your company or are they purchased.
Would you be willing to share pass/fail data.

This would really give the committee rewriting the IPC test method
a lot of important information.

Thank you for any help you can give.  Of course it would be great to
have this information today so I can take it to Providence.

Susan Mansilla
Robisan Laboratory
317-353-6249