From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 96 06:24:11 cst
     Good Morning!

     Alloy Sn63 melts at 183C - that is the only 'given' in an equation to
     make solder joints with that alloy! Your peak temperature that you
     shoot for in a reflow operation is going to be a combination of the
     printed wiring board thermal demands, the robustness of the types of
     components you are using and the thermal characteristics of the flux
     in your solder paste. I don't think that there is a "recommended" peak
     temperature because of the wide range of variable inputs. An enormous
     amount of time and equipment is devoted to giving a process engineer
     tools to allow him/her to optimize an assembly reflow profile. I
     usually shoot for 30 seconds at 194C but that is just my preference
     and if I had to back it up with data I'd lose. Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins