TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Denis Lefebvre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 12:15:40 -0700
One of my co-workers has been handed a 'reverse-engineering' project that was done by an outside contractor. There are BGA's on this board that have had vias placed directly in the solder land as well as many other SMD's with vias dropped in the solderable land area.

It has always been my belief that this is not a good "DFM" practice. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience or information on via-in-pad techniques - especially on BGA's.

Denis Lefebvre, C.I.D.
Senior PCB Designer
408-542-3832
Finisar Corporation