From:
[log in to unmask] (Leo Reynolds )
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 12:59:17 -0700

The problem we are facing is that a customer is having us hold SMT
devices for next years production.  We have some materials in storage
for 6 months already and by the time the material is in use, some may be
over one year.  In the past one customer who held material, for 15
months and then found it was unsolderable, scrapped over $100,000 worth.

Has the IPC issued any guidelines for storage times?  Are there
recommneded techniques such as vapor bags with dessicants or storage in
inert gas environments, etc that are practical?

Any comments on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Leo Reynolds
Electronic Systems, Inc.
P.O. Box 5013
Sioux Falls, SD  57117