TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Gregg Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:51:16 -0700
Dear Lance:

My sincere apologies for not getting back to you. It was not
intentional. My computer became infected and I had to have the hard
drive reformatted while I was away on a training assignment. As a
result, I didn't get a chance to check my email for about a week. I just
got back on-line yesterday.

I saw your request on TechNet and think you got some very good replies.
Both Dave Chapman and Bev Christian I respect their experiences and
comments a great deal. I would suggest you go with their opinions.

Some of the responders referred to them as disturbed which would be a
defect for Class 1, 2 and 3 per 9.2.4.2. This is where the Standards do
become subjective. There is a difference between disturbed "stress
lines" and lines of demarcation at the juncture between the existing
solder and new solder. I agree with the comments that solder is not
required to spread to the very end of the pads/lands.

So it comes down to how you interpret the lines in the solder connection
whether disturbed or simply "not pretty". If you have a lot of product
being produced this way, you could microsection this connection and have
a metallurgist examine it for a final determination. A disturbed solder
connection is one where the solder molecules have not had an opportunity
to properly align during the cooling process. Therefore, the resulting
wetting may be suspect.

The down side of solder connections is that we infer the internal
wetting to the surfaces being joined (and intermetallic bond between
these two surfaces) by simply examining the external surface conditions.

I hope these comments have be of some assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Gregg A. Owens
Executive Director
Manufacturing Technology Training Center, Inc.
10247 San Sevaine Way, Suite "I"
Mira Loma, CA 91752 USA
Phone: (909) 360-1324
Fax: (909) 360-1346