From:
Karen Tellefsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:32:09 -0500

>I have a question about reflow soldering to gold with 2% silver paste.
>
>I heard some  folk lore at our company about using 2% silver solder paste
>on gold plated lands. The legend states that 62/36/2 paste on gold has
>long term reliability implications, these joints being subject to
>dendritic growth to a greater degree than 63/37 solder to gold.
>
>If anyone is aware of published data on this subject, I would be very
>grateful if you would give me the references so I may review the
>information.
>
>Also, if anyone is using silver solder on gold at this time, I would be
>interested in hearing about your experience.

I think this has more to do with Ag in the solder than the Au lands.
Ag is known to be a bad electromigrator because of the low activation
energy for Ag dissolution/redeposition reactions and the soluability of
Ag-organic acid salts.  Krumbien's review on electromigration discusses
this in general, though it doesn't discuss 62/36/2 specifically.

However, we at Alpha Metals frequently run electromigration tests for
pastes with 62/36/2 as well 63/37 powder to ensure reliability with
both alloys.