From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 95 15:20:00 EST

>From the EMPF HelpLine in Indianapolis.  One possible solution: We have used
a material called Templaq in the past. It is a liquid in small bottles (like
typewriter white-out) that you can dot onto various places on an assembly.
It is available in different colors, each linked to a temperature. When that
temperature was reached, the material changed from the opaque color to a
clear dot. I'm not sure what temperatures it is available in now (the
materials we used were all just below, at and just above eutectic solder
reflow temperatures.) I just called Nu-Concept Systems, Inc., 2725 Advance
Lane, PO Box 587, Colmar PA 215-822-8400 fax 215-822-1427, which was my
previous source, and they still sell it. I don't know if they make it or are
just distributors, but at least it's one source. You could dot several
component tops and board areas and get a pretty good idea if you were going
above certain temps.
 ----------
From: TechNet-request
To: TechNet
Cc: karl.sauter
Subject: SMT PCA Bd Temp Sticker
Date:  19 Sep 95 11:12AM

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:12:13 +0800
From: [log in to unmask] (Karl Sauter)
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
 --

Board profiles are being run where the IR/oven set-points vary
both significantly and often depending upon the variety of new

Is there a TAPE/STICKER/WAX PENCIL that can be used to indicate
on a functional (non-mole) board the highest temperature that
board has seen during PWB assembly ?

Thanks,

Karl Sauter

Staff Engineer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.