TECHNET Archives

April 1999

From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:31:11 +0100
David, two suggestions that may help with your problem.

(1) If you are using board brushing and not pumice scrub then you could have thin slivers of copper breaking away from the edge of the track and causing embedded shorts in the solder resist. This is almost unavoidable with mechanical brushing so I would always recommend pumice scrubbing.

(2) Plated shorts can be caused by the laminate weave giving an uneven copper surface. This can lead to tunnelling of the tin-lead or tin plate which results in very fine shorts corresponding to the weave. On half ounce copper this effect is more pronounced because of the reduced time in etch. Oddly enough, better results can often be achieved with one ounce material because the thicker foil is less prone to print through and the increased etch time often means these fine shorts disappear. Look for spikes along the edges of tracks as a sign that this is happening; they may be localised in one area of the panel.

Both of these effects are very difficult to see without at least 10X magnification and are almost impossible to find after solder resist application. One method of finding a short of this nature is to apply a current, say 1 amp, across the two shorted nets. You will see a brief flash and the short will carbonise. This makes it much easier to locate and remove.

You won't experience (1) with pumice scrubbing and you can reduce the incidence of (2) to zero by getting better surface topography on the laminate, slowing the resist lamination speed, and increasing board entry temperature to the laminator to help the resist to flow and conform to the copper surface.

Hope this helps,

Paul Gould
Technical Director
Teknacron Circuits Ltd, UK