From:
"Yuen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 95 12:08:00 CDT

Hi Jerry,

>For those readers involved in SMT board level assembly, I have a question.
>.As a "benchmark", your opinions are solicited. At my Company, we assemble
>PWA's with dominantly SM packages. Our projected number one product for
>next year is a PCI format (about 6.6" x 3.6" exclusive of the gold fingers)
>board with SMT parts both sides (print paste, place, reflow; repeat for
>other side).

Typically,  a defective unit may have one or more defects. However, the
traditional data collection on defective percentage does not take into
account the number of opportunities for defect to occur. Defect opportunity
is the possibility of inducing a defect or non conformance in a unit of
product at a manufacturing operation.  As a benchmark, I think you should
use your own historic data to estimate the DPMO of each individual package.

>The board is populated with 205 total devices including 167 discretes, 18
>0.05" pitch parts, and 20 fine pitch parts. There are 1,948 total SM solder
>joints and 1,276 of these will be fine pitch (mostly 0.5 mm). No through
>hole devices on this assembly (yay!).

EXAMPLE:
>From your historic data, you know that your DPMO to reflow discrete parts on
top side are 10.
Quantity                                167
Total Oppor. Per Unit  (TOPU)           668
Defects Per Unit (DPU)                  0.00668
Expected Defects Per Million (PPM)     6680
Process Capability (Cp)             1.42
Expected First Pass Yield                     99.33

By summing up all your ppm from each package, you should get a pretty good
estimate on the projected defect rate based on your past performance.  This
way, you can set your projected rate as target  yield.

>What would you suggest is a reasonable target solder defect rate for this
>product (ppm) assuming modern stencil printing and placement techniques?

In the long run, six-sigma should be your utilmate target. Please refer to
Quality Process, June 1993 for more detail.

Michael Yuen
Process Engineer
EAC- A Plexus company
Neenah, WI