From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 95 08:17:00 EST

Following from the EMPF HelpLine; Jeff Kukelhan sends: I would suggest that
if the splashes only cover 1-3% of the contact area that the would not cause
any serious problems.  There are two concerns.  The solder will evenetually
form brittle intermetallics with the gold which could flake off under
mechanical stress (i.e. connector mating). The other concern is that the
solder would smear out over the surface of the finger after multiple
insertion operations.  This smeared solder may oxidize and cause contact
resistance problems.  If they are relatively small and sparse, I wouldn't
worry about it.  I might suggest using a temporary solder mask (tape type)
in the future. You can contact us for further dialog if you wish at
317.226.5616 (Indianapolis) or e-mail to [log in to unmask]