From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 96 08:38:37 cst
     Hi Werner!

     The danger of not wetting to the base metal surface can also happen
     with tin/lead finishes so I don't view the emergence of the
     alternative finishes as a bad thing - we just need to be smarter than
     we have in the past and not repeat those same mistakes again. Wetting
     balance testing is one tool that would give some indication of the
     wetting phenomena at the base metal surface. Also the SERA test method
     can give indications if a base metal/surface interaction is occurring
     at a surface. The new alternative finishes will also push the
     solderability specifications to the next level of measurement
     assessment (or at least I hope they do!). If anyone has some ideas
     about new solderabiltiy test methods the ANSIJ-STD-002/003 committee
     would love to hear about them. Werner - did the IEEE Compliant Lead
     Task Group ever publish their investigation findings and where ( I
     want to get a copy!)?

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins