From:
[log in to unmask] (Wedemeyer, Ron)
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:20 WAT

Our company has always had a PCB design rule that active components
should not be wave soldered, for device reliability reasons. However our
design density now requires us to place active (silicon) components in
soic and larger type packages on the secondary side of PCBs, and wave
solder.
Does anyone have any information, experience or data about reduced
reliability of active components that have been wave soldered, in
comparison to hot air reflow? (Or conversely let me know if you've been
doing it for years without problems!]
Also can anyone recommend if it is necessary to do any component pre-bake
prior to wave soldering active soic type components?

Many thanks,
Ron Wedemeyer, Senior Engineer - Product Engineering
QPSX Communications, Perth, Western Australia, [log in to unmask]