From:
[log in to unmask] (Tom Crofford)
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 08:55:31 -0500
Richard,

I'd like more info on how passive components are more subject to damage by
wave soldering that active ones.  We are working on a new PCB design and
recently eliminated all active components from the back of it.  It now has
only caps.  How much of a production problem might this represent?  What
failure rates have you seen on passives?

>I have been running the wave soldering courses for Electrovert for 8 years, I
>have worked in sub contract manufcatre for two years and before that 15
years in
>a major OEM. Wave soldering of SOIC devices is not a problem. There has
been far
>more problems with SOT23 and pasive components.
>
>Soldering QFP devices may need some baking prior to wave soldering.
Provided you