From:
[log in to unmask] (denise rooke)
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 23:42:36 -0500 (EST)
Bill thanks for the feedback. Actually the customer was not EAC but another
customer. The defects stated were found at in circuit or functional testing
and I believe that the component solder "open" counted only as one defect
even though both sides of the component leads (capacitor for example) may
have been unsoldered. The finish on these boards was HASL (or is that
HASSLE?) and the boards supplied are typically 20-25 mil pitch quad packs.

One of my concerns is that of reliability and reliable solder defect
repairs. Specifically, what the future bare board requirements may need to
evolve into to support my customers' needs. I estimate that the number of
SMD pads is approximately equal to the number of via holes, and at Circo we
drill half a billion holes per month, just in one division! Even at 10ppm
the number of potential repairs would be significant to say the least.

I am glad to see you pursuing OSP and/or alternative solderable finishes,
most of the pwb industry is striving to provide this, however, the flux and
soldering process seems to be the predominent constraint to short term
success. And flux/finish compatibility appears to determine OSP future
potential.

I have received only a few responses, I'm not sure whether there are only a
limited number of assembly contacts on line (I am using both Technet and
Fabnet) or whether the data is perceived to be "taboo".

Dave