TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:18:49 EDT
Hello Jack,

I hear good things about Cat these days.
I don't like ink and never have.  Back in the day of 1206's being the
smallest part we would radius the outer corners of the significant end.  It
is small stuff, but the symmetry helps the wetting.  [If I had my "duthers"
I'd durther all my external land corners were radius', but I digress...]   We
made the pin 1 of actives longer (both ends of the rectangle pad to aid in
design ease and DRC) then solder mask defined to be same as the others.  The
land is still clearly visible.  All of this stuff went down the tubes when
BGAs and their small neighborhood of passives arrived.  Life then taught us
there is no replacement for exact database for pick and place (etal) and very
clear assembly drawings.  Getting the very clear assembly drawing is not as
easy as one may assume.  It is quite a bit of time and can be prone to error.
 I like two drawings... or views... one that only shows the parts that are
reflowed, the other view (or others) show all else.  In the HiRel Military
arena a stand alone assembly drawing dedicated to reflow worked rather nicely
and it avoided folks creating "their own print."  Nothing like happy people
building to print.
The bottom line... in the micro surface mount part assembly, I would not make
any alterations that might impact the quality of the assembly.  I would spend
the time on documentation.  Depend on database for volume and print for
proto.

Brad