From:
[log in to unmask] (Martin Kennett, Design Engineer)
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:37:01 -0600
I assume you are talking about the recent trend in North America for
Gold plated Pads.  This process hsa been around in the UK for about
five years. The exact specification is 0.05 microns of Gold over
5 microns Nickel.  According to the literature, the gold layer is too
thin to allow brittle intermetallics to form.  The main advantages of
Gold over nickel are that it produces a very flat surface which is
excellent for fine pitch,  Gold is highly reflective making it ideal
for machine vision systems,  it gives a highly solderable surface that
is resistant to corrosion and therefore has a longer shelf life than
that of simple tin/lead finish.
At SMI in San Jose this year I noted that several US Board Vendors have
begun to offer this finish.  Supposedly there is only a nominal price
differential due to the extremely small quantity of Gold deposited.

If you require further information please E-mail me and I can suggest
vendors.

Martin Kennett - [log in to unmask],
Design Engineer, SED Systems Inc, Saskatoon, Canada.