TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
"Robert B. Denbo" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 14:20:16 -0500
Board defect? Purple spotGlen:

In IPC-R-700, there is a procedure 4.2.10.1, Deleting Internal Conductors or
Shorts by Drilling or Machining that outlines this process. Typically this
kind of repair is only done with customer approval. It should not be done as
a standard process by the board fabricator on their own.

I have performed this procedure in the past for customers who have a short
designed in and needed it removed on expensive boards.

As far as the color is concerned, I would think that they used a quick set
epoxy that was colored, or worse it picked up coloring from some of the
chemistry it saw after the repair was performed.

If you have multiple boards with the defect in the same location it would
tend to make me think they had a film defect and performed the repair to
salvage the parts rather then start them over and make them correctly.

Bob