Date:
Fri, 08 Sep 95 12:06:22 PST

     Jerry,
     we are using OPC coating now. In July, we started printing large
     boards with 0.3 mm pitch QFPs. I don't know if we could have printed
     this small pitch on HASL boards, though I think the biggest
     contribution to our success was a new printer.
     The gold question arose on some other boards that are presently OPC
     and which have press-in connectors. The connector company recommended
     HASL, but the designers chose bare copper. We had some failures where
     the press-in pin gouged out part of the through-hole barrel. The bare
     boards presently come from Japan, and our customer asked us to buy
     them locally. Our design department checked all the options, one of
     which was Ni-Au. Probably, in the end, HASL will be chosen since the
     finest pitch is O.5mm. But we also wanted to check the possibility of
     Ni-Au since it seems to be getting more attention lately.

     Thanks again for your input.
     Allen Ahlert