TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:11:33 -0500
Kevin,

I'm not the SMT guy that most people on this forum are but ....

I would feel uncomfortable leaving a big fat Hersey's kiss of conductive
adhesive under your device....if you could pile it that high.  A large,
thick, section of conductive adhesives (at least the ones I have used for
[bare] die attach) will usually 'mud-crack' .  The conductive adhesives are
not necessarily thixotropic and therefore, may not give you the tall glob
that you desire.  I would be concerned about the potential for silver
migration later....

On the other hand, there are many non-electically conductive adhesives which
are very thixotropic and can very easily give you the large glob which I
believe you desire.

Both conductive and non-conductives are typically available in a snap cure
format, however, the non-conductives will have snap cures most suitable for
SMT types of work.  UV cures too.

Check out the Ablestiks and Loctites of the world

Steven Creswick - Gentex Corporation
Zeeland, MI - USA